[Editor: This is a very controversial topic.  Some very good people have fought hard to make this  happen. Some very good people think it is a disaster and opens the door for democrats to pass all kinds of new un-Constitutional Amendments.  There is an excellent book on this matter if you would like to know more: Rule of Law, Dustin Romney and we are sure there are others.  We are taking no official position on this.]

Yesterday afternoon, Arizona made history by becoming the ninth state to pass the Convention of States resolution to propose amendments that limit federal power.

House Representative Don Shooter proudly stated,"Arizona once again leads the way for the restoration of the American dream. If the people's rights are to be restored it will once again be through the states, not the federal government..."

This hard-fought victory was only possible because of the combined efforts of engaged citizens and steadfast legislators who believe that now is the time for the states to unite and tame the federal monster.

With Arizona leading the way in the 2017 legislative season, we expect many more states to follow suit in the coming weeks.

Right now, we urgently need your help so that we can fully take advantage of this momentum and usher more states across the finish line.

This is a time sensitive matter.

Twenty-eight states are currently considering the Convention of States resolution with votes pending.

Views: 390

Replies to This Discussion

Here is Article V of the US Constitution, copied & pasted from

https://www.law.cornell.edu/constitution/articlev

"Article V

The Congress, whenever two thirds of both houses shall deem it necessary, shall propose amendments to this Constitution, or, on the application of the legislatures of two thirds of the several states, shall call a convention for proposing amendments, which, in either case, shall be valid to all intents and purposes, as part of this Constitution, when ratified by the legislatures of three fourths of the several states, or by conventions in three fourths thereof, as the one or the other mode of ratification may be proposed by the Congress; provided that no amendment which may be made prior to the year one thousand eight hundred and eight shall in any manner affect the first and fourth clauses in the ninth section of the first article; and that no state, without its consent, shall be deprived of its equal suffrage in the Senate."

There are no rules for procedure listed. No rules for anything after the COS is called & implemented. That being said, I ask, how do we GUARANTEE that the Convention is not taken over by the radical left?

Besides, if there was a peaceful COS & great amendments were added, what makes us think the new amendments would be followed any more than the Constitution is now? For instance, the Fed Govt has NO business controlling health care, but we got OblameUS Care & now a crappy Ryan Care 'replacement'. How about the govt get OUT of HC altogether except to insure there is no fraud [oops, the 'F' word again. ;-) ] price fixing & such.

I am not sure the Constitution gives the feds the power to give away taxpayer $$ to foreign governments. Where does the fed govt get the authority to pay for infrastructure that is 100% Constitutional? On we could go.

Oh well.

Oh yeah, don't forget that Ted Cruz has been calling for a COS for amendments. Recall also that Mrs. Heidi Cruz was at the CFR for 5 years after Condi Rice sponsored Heidi in. Mrs. C  then helped draft an updated version of the North American Union. The only way to get US into the NAU, short of a military invasion of some kind, is via a Constitutional Convention. Yeah, it's just a coincidence. Oh well.....

SamFox

I can live with the F word in this context, Sam.  Real fraud has been proven to have been committed against the Constitution just in the last 8 years alone.  A lot of it.  What we really need is lawmakers who actually go and read the Constitution, heck, they should read their own party platform of the republicans, and maybe they would be aware when they were violating it. I don't think most of them really care.  Both parties as the Uniparty.

SamFox - I will answer your posting in two part.

The rules are a valid concern.  Your statement and question is very important.

"There are no rules for procedure listed. No rules for anything after the COS is called & implemented. That being said, I ask, how do we GUARANTEE that the Convention is not taken over by the radical left?"

We Know the Rules

October 28, 2013

Michael Farris

Our self-described “naysayer’s” next argument against a Convention of States is as follows: “There are no rules for a modern-day ‘constitutional convention.’”

Not true. We know the fundamental rule that governs a Convention of States: each state gets one vote.

The Founders did not create a convention of individuals. They created an interstate convention for proposing amendments, which is why it is called a Convention of States. There were several interstate conventions in America's history, and the rules for a Convention of States are the rules of international bodies when sovereign units of government gather.

Every convention of American states practiced one-state, one-vote. Every convention of nations today practices one-state, one-vote. It is a rule that is inherent when sovereign governments meet.

Our naysayer’s argument is like saying that the Founders didn’t create rules for juries. The Constitution doesn’t specify that juries have to be unanimous to convict a person of crime. It doesn’t require that juries find defendants guilty beyond a reasonable doubt. But those rules are firmly in place just as if they had been written down. Why? Because that is the nature of a jury in the Anglo-American system. When they required jury trials, unanimous verdicts and proof beyond a reasonable doubt came along automatically because that is the nature of a jury.

The same thing is true here. The nature of a convention of sovereign governmental entities requires one-state, one-vote. The Founders gave us the only rule that matters.

The fact that there are no rules for assigning the number of delegates from each state is absolute proof of the nature of the system they were designing. At the 1787 Constitutional Convention, each state could send whatever number of delegates they wanted. When it came time to vote, the delegates from each state had to caucus, and the majority within that delegation cast the vote for the state. That is exactly what will happen with a Convention of States today.

The most important rule in any gathering is this one: Who has the power to make the rules? That question has been answered. The Convention of States can decide what internal committees to appoint. It can decide the order of business. It can decide when to take breaks for dinner. None of those kinds of rules need to be specified in the Constitution. All that is important is to specify the rule for voting. And that has been done.

One-state, one-vote.

Note:  Michael "Mike" P. Farris is an American constitutional lawyer. He is a founder of the Home School Legal Defense Association and Patrick Henry College, both in Purcellville in Loudoun County in northern Virginia. He currently serves as CEO and General Counsel for Alliance Defending Freedom.

My Reply part two

As to the guarantee preventing a left radical take over, the states have the right to rescind the resolution calling for the Article V Convention of States.  Keep in mind that a parliamentary process of proposed amendments would control any amendments that are in conflict with the purpose of the convention call - limit and restrict the federal government. If ruled in conflict the offending proposal would be ruled out-of-order.

At: https://www.i2i.org/proposed-rules-for-an-article-v-convention/ you will find;  "* The final decision on convention rules is up to the convention itself. However, state legislators can recommend particular rules or instruct their commissioners (delegates) to vote only for particular rules. In calling the convention, Congress may recommend rules but may not prescribe them."

I simply did a search on = "Rules for an Article V" to find all sorts of links to the COS rules.  I have an 18 page draft of the rules advocated by the state of Utah (A draft rules COS legislative session in Utah). The 2015 American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) was referenced in an article at: https://www.conventionofstates.com/convention_of_states_project_lau... and I quote:

"Mark Meckler, President of Citizens for Self-Governance and co-founder of the Convention of States Project, said, “Not since the founding of our great nation have state representatives had an opportunity like this. A Convention of States allows them to follow the footsteps of Madison, Jefferson, and Mason as they fight to save our country from the continual, expanding, unconstitutional overreach of the federal government.”

The first draft of the proposed rules will be announced at the Thursday, July 23rd evening event, with discussion of them at the 9:45 am policy workshop on Friday, July 24, at the ALEC conference. Attendees will be given a copy of the rules, which will be discussed by four panelists already familiar with the text:"  Ask your state legislator for a copy, if he/she attended the 2015 ALEC conference.

Life offers no guarantees but GOD gave us the right to pursue happiness.  Congress and the Executive branch are not the only guilty of federal over reach.  The Judicial System with judges rendering personal opinions outside of ruling on the merits of the case within the rules and laws of our nation and our creator, Natural Law effectively have negated portions of the U.S. Constitution.  The Supreme Court is guilty of opinion changes. 

In December 2015, the AZ COS team held a simulated convention.  I had proposed a memo outlining constraints on the Supreme Court and was discussing it with the president chair.  We concluded it was not to be pursued but Mike Ferris over heard and looked at my memo and stated; it is a good idea.  We ended up with a proposed 28th amendment, see the uploaded file.

My opinion - We can not guarantee anything but our best effort to elect men and women of high moral and virtue character.  To do less than that effort is to denigrate our Republic, remain vigilant!

Attachments:

Why am I getting these comments over & over again? I can see where one person has responded to a comment & yet getting all these comments at the same time is getting a bit too much. That has nothing to do with the subject. It is a good subject to discuss, but its getting a bit too much to receive the same information over & over again. This is just MO.

Jennifer: whenever anyone posts a comment, an alert is sent out to others who are commenting. You are not getting the same comments over and over but you are getting the same page each time and all the comments are still on the page unless the commenter removes their post.  When you get an alert in your email and click the link, if you just wait a bit until the page settles it should settle on the comment you clicked on.

I just want to say here a great big thank you to our Arizona Legislators who voted to pass HCR 2010.  It took courage and vision and patience to see past the scare tactics of the JBS. I will leave them (the John Birch Society) to their arguments that nullification and electing better senators and reps is the answer.  I think we've been trying those things for the last 50 years. Hows that working out?

It is clear to me that Congress does follow the Constitution - as interpeted by the Supreme Court. The commerce clause and the general welfare clause, used to have clear, specific and limited meanings, but today they are stretched to the huge leviathan we have today of a Federal government.  There are only 2 ways I see to put the Federal Government back in its constitutional box: revolution or new amendments that clarify some of that old dusty language that has been stretched and distorted.  Since the amendments that are needed, whether is term limits, a balanced budget, automatic sunsetting of all federal agencies, single subject bills, repealing the 16th and 17th amendments, putting oversight on the supreme court, or any number of great ideas described in Mark Levin's book "The Liberty Amendments" all limit the power of Congress and restrict what they can do, they will never propose such amendments themselves, and so, if we want these things, and I've heard that term limits has 80% support among Americans, we are going to have to do it ourselves through a convention of states.  That or revolution as I mentioned earlier. I personally think we should exhaust all peaceful means to restore liberty and individual and state freedom, before resorting to violence and bloodshed. Us Convention of States people have been working hard for 3 years in Arizona to make this a reality, and we are only the 9th state to do so.  We have 25 more states to go to reach the required 34.  It is a truly monumental task, to solve a truly monumental problem.  I'm telling you now that it will happen though. Our group is growing quickly and reason and liberty are on our side.  To everyone listening to the guy that called us frauds, I say do some research on our site www.conventionofstates.com and decide for yourself who is fighting for individual liberty and freedom and who is fearful that two things are going to happen at a convention: 1 congress will ignore it and it is therefore useless and 2. it will get hijacked and mischief (unspecified) will be caused and will destroy the entire constitution.  I personally find the latter utterly irrational.  But do your own research and decide for yourself.

RSS

THOUGHTS

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click for **BLOW YOUR MIND READING LIST**  

The best in books to make every conservative start thinking in new ways about America and the world being controlled by the Obama Administrations AND Republicans and Democrats.  Some surprises are in store for those who look!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suppose the earth and its inhabitants exist in order to identify just what causes mankind continually to suffer so many troublesome problems and afflictions.

At present, most persons decide to act on whatever happens with their thoughts. But doing so puts them in competition with one of the creator's natural laws first identified by Richard Wetherill.

How?

The answer is not complicated. People must stop basing their behavior on their personal thinking. Instead they have to act on the creator's thoughts, here being described in the English language as rational, honest, and morally right.

No longer should people reason from their concepts of good and evil, right and wrong, likes and dislikes, or whatever else comes to mind. Instead, mankind must think the creator's thoughts. That enables them successfully to do what is rational, honest, and morally right.

That may seem incredible until understood. But, consider that it is the way that mankind can escape the death penalty everybody has been paying since the days that people were created.

Join the survivors who have stopped their personal thinking. They now base their behavior on the creator's guiding thoughts to act in a way that is rational, honest, and morally right.

The Alpha Publishing Co.

GOD, PLEASE BLESS AMERICA!  AMERICA, PLEASE BLESS GOD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO PRAY, KEEP ON PRAYING. HE HAS HEARD OUR CRY AND HE IS ANSWERING.

##########################

© 2017   Created by Arizona Freedom Alliance.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service