Americans on both sides of the political aisle believe the media does a poor job covering political issues fairly, according to a blockbuster new survey of media consumption in 38 nations.

What’s more, the Pew Research Center’s study found that supporters of President Trump believe the media is doing a worse job covering politics than the supporters of any of the other international political leaders in countries surveyed.

Pew Research Center

“Large gaps in ratings of the media emerge between governing party supporters and non-supporters. On the question of whether their news media cover political issues fairly, for example, partisan differences appear in 20 of the 38 countries surveyed. In five countries, the gap is at least 20 percentage points, with the largest by far in the U.S. at 34 percentage points,” said Pew.

The survey found that just 21 percent of Americans supportive of Trump and Republicans believe the media is fair. Some 55 percent of those who don’t back Trump also believe the media is fairly covering politics in the U.S.

In every other case, those numbers are flipped, said Pew.

“The U.S. is also one of only a few countries where governing party supporters are less satisfied with their news media than are non-supporters. In most countries, people who support the political party currently in power are more satisfied with the performance of their news media than those who do not support the governing party,” said the study.

Source here.

More: Publics Globally Want Unbiased News Coverage, but Are Divided...

Views: 119

Replies to This Discussion

Could media bias be overcome and important truths provided people if they had a team in each zip code area and the team had a volunteer liaison responsible for educating a segment of society and leading them to meaningful action?

Thomas Jefferson wrote: "Who will govern the governors? There is only one force in the nation that can be depended upon to keep the government pure and the governors honest, and that is the people themselves. They alone, if well informed, are capable of preventing the corruption of power, and of restoring the nation to its rightful course if it should go astray. They alone are the safest depository of the ultimate powers of government. Rebellion to tyrants is obedience to God."  Only an informed and organized populace can efficiently and effectively "govern the governors," Unfortunately, Americans lack the leadership,  tools, and common sense needed to become a formidable force.

It is no longer just bias, it has adopted a policy of lies to promote that bias in the readers. A little more than a hundred years ago even small towns would have several competing newspapers. Since TV has taken their place as the source of news they have mostly died and we came to rely on the Radio and Television for instant news. They have become mostly an advertising outlet and have, in my opinion taken on the bias of their financial patrons selling products and paying them. The news has become just one more product they now sell to the highest bidder and the truth does not pay but liars do because they count on the advantages those lies will give them. I think it is about time to remove public domain licenses from those who lie using the airwaves to do so. They may have the same right, as newspapers, to publish "free speech" but there is no "right" to use those license's to promote lies. 

Time and again the networks have been caught in outright lies. Falsehoods, about gas tank explosions in pickup trucks or global warming or climate change, are designed to promote someones agenda and you can bet there is a profit to be made from the lie, by someone behind the scene, and they will fight hard and dirty to get and keep it.

How do you propose the licenses of those that lie be removed? From my perspective this would require people be organized into an undeniable force; something that most people will agree on the need for but have never managed to do. Egos and the lust for power and money appear to always trump common sense.

Just like obscene language and nudity can be punished when "aired" on a broadcast licensed media fines and loss of the license to broadcast is a potential at every occurrence. It will take public comment, time and a system of proving that what was broadcast was lies but I think the threat of loss of license and or large fines might slow the use of such things in the future. 

I think when something is labeled as "news" it needs to be checked and cross checked to make sure it is not misleading and false. NBC paid a price about 20 years ago for a false piece about the trucks with exploding gas tanks, maybe the threat of loss of license would have cured the lying by now had it been in place. I am sure there would be someone who might buy such a license if it were to come on the market and getting one this way would send a message to the others to clean up and stop the lying.

There could be established a system of rewards, a percentage of the fine or percentage of the reissue price for a license which is resold after removal, to be paid to the person or company which proves that a story is false, made up, or misleading through false hoods and provable lies.

RSS

THOUGHTS

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click for **BLOW YOUR MIND READING LIST**  

The best in books to make every conservative start thinking in new ways about America and the world being controlled by the Obama Administrations AND Republicans and Democrats.  Some surprises are in store for those who look!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suppose the earth and its inhabitants exist in order to identify just what causes mankind continually to suffer so many troublesome problems and afflictions.

GOD, PLEASE BLESS AMERICA!  AMERICA, PLEASE BLESS GOD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO PRAY, KEEP ON PRAYING. HE HAS HEARD OUR CRY AND HE IS ANSWERING.

##########################

© 2018   Created by Arizona Freedom Alliance.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service