Arizona Board of Education president abruptly resigns, cites feud with Diane Douglas

Greg Miller, president of the board, frequently clashed with the state superintendent of public instruction; replacement expected soon

(Photo: Nick Oza/The Republic)                 Arizona  Board of Education President Greg Miller's abrupt resignation Wednesday ended a two-year feud with state schools Superintendent Diane Douglas marked by lawsuits and heated tensions in public meetings.

Miller leaves as the state nears the homestretch of years-long efforts to adopt new policies affecting what Arizona students have to learn and how schools will be held accountable for that.

Gov. Doug Ducey asked Miller to resign this week “in order to provide fresh leadership,” Daniel Scarpinato, Ducey’s spokesman, said in an email Wednesday.

Miller agreed, and later told The Arizona Republic he “didn’t have the time and energy” to see through the rest of his term, which would have ended in January.

The feud between Douglas and Miller began when they first met in 2014 — when she was still campaigning for the superintendent's office.

Since then, the two have clashed often over standards, testing, the overall vision for Arizona education — and authority.

With exception to the state superintendent of public instruction's seat, all the members of the state Board of Education are appointed by Arizona's governor.

There are two vacant seats on the 11-person board, including Miller's. Scarpinato said Ducey will make new appointments likely “this week or next."

In a Wednesday interview with The Republic, Miller said he felt “relief because the superintendent has been unwilling to cooperate with the board and my role as president has constantly put us in conflict.”

“I wish I would’ve accomplished more,” Miller added, “but unfortunately that hasn’t been the case because I spent an awful lot of time defending the state board and its constitutional role.”

Read more on azcentral.com

Views: 195

Replies to This Discussion

Well well. Miller should know it takes TWO to have a conflict like theirs.  He's a liberal republican and the public elected a conservative republican.  The public elected Douglas, right or wrong.  Can't say that enough. Ducey and the board have undermined Douglas, with the help of Kelli Ward, since she won that election. Maybe now we can get on with the business of eliminating common core from AZ

YES!!!!!!!!!!

The vestiges of "common core" reek of a communist collective, that is why they use the word "common".  American education IS NOT "common" it has devalued education to the political whim, hence a school voucher system was formed to thwart it.  This "common core" bull-shitzey has brought down all students from the ladder of having The Opportunity Of Success. It has made our children puppets to be "give me my due" Demoncrats ... and has destroyed critical thinking for ones individual self-interest.

I doubt if Miller will be missed for very long. Diane Douglas is representing the people who voted for her. My hope is that we will see the end of Common Core. It really isn't all for the kids like they want the people to believe.

good riddance.  Another appointed official imagining his vision should take priority over that of

the candidate elected by the voters.  There is not the slightest doubt in my mind that, if given a chance, the concepts put forward by Diane Douglas will pay handsome dividends, which is exactly why the establishment is fighting against her so hard.

Did you guys see Itasca Small's Video on common core. It's a interview with Steve K. It's the best common core vid out there.

Thank God for Diane D. just what the Dr Ordered.

RSS

THOUGHTS

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click for **BLOW YOUR MIND READING LIST**  

The best in books to make every conservative start thinking in new ways about America and the world being controlled by the Obama Administrations AND Republicans and Democrats.  Some surprises are in store for those who look!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suppose the earth and its inhabitants exist in order to identify just what causes mankind continually to suffer so many troublesome problems and afflictions.

At present, most persons decide to act on whatever happens with their thoughts. But doing so puts them in competition with one of the creator's natural laws first identified by Richard Wetherill.

How?

The answer is not complicated. People must stop basing their behavior on their personal thinking. Instead they have to act on the creator's thoughts, here being described in the English language as rational, honest, and morally right.

No longer should people reason from their concepts of good and evil, right and wrong, likes and dislikes, or whatever else comes to mind. Instead, mankind must think the creator's thoughts. That enables them successfully to do what is rational, honest, and morally right.

That may seem incredible until understood. But, consider that it is the way that mankind can escape the death penalty everybody has been paying since the days that people were created.

Join the survivors who have stopped their personal thinking. They now base their behavior on the creator's guiding thoughts to act in a way that is rational, honest, and morally right.

The Alpha Publishing Co.

GOD, PLEASE BLESS AMERICA!  AMERICA, PLEASE BLESS GOD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO PRAY, KEEP ON PRAYING. HE HAS HEARD OUR CRY AND HE IS ANSWERING.

##########################

© 2017   Created by Arizona Freedom Alliance.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service