There are so many types of cancers it's impossible for the average reader to know one from the other.  That includes brain cancer of which there is more than one type.  McCain was diagnosed with glioblastoma.  What is that and how is it treated?

Glioblastomas (GBM) are tumors that arise from astrocytes—the star-shaped cells that make up the “glue-like,” or supportive tissue of the brain. These tumors are usually highly malignant (cancerous) because the cells reproduce quickly and they are supported by a large network of blood vessels.

Glioblastomas are generally found in the cerebral hemispheres of the brain, but can be found anywhere in the brain or spinal cord.

Description

Glioblastomas usually contain a mix of cell types. It is not unusual for these tumors to contain cystic mineral, calcium deposits, blood vessels, or a mixed grade of cells.

Glioblastomas are usually highly malignant—a large number of tumor cells are reproducing at any given time, and they are nourished by an ample blood supply. Dead cells may also be seen, especially toward the center of the tumor. Because these tumors come from normal brain cells, it is easy for them to invade and live within normal brain tissue. However, glioblastoma rarely spreads elsewhere in the body.

There are two types of glioblastomas:

• Primary, or de novo: These tumors tend to form and make their presence known quickly. This is the most common form of glioblastoma; it is very aggressive.  [McCain's type]

(Snip)

Treatment

Glioblastoma can be difficult to treat because the tumors contain so many different types of cells. Some cells may respond well to certain therapies, while others may not be affected at all. This is why the treatment plan for glioblastoma may combine several approaches.

It looks to us like this is not a very treatable or survivable cancer.  You can read more about this type of cancer and the survival stats HERE.

Views: 284

Replies to This Discussion

Just how is there a connection with a "blood clot" and with this cancerous Glioblastoma? ... or the media's disinformation technique that McCain will live out his term as Senator. Anytime they remove a part of the skull to see what's inside it is a serious condition. So the only question which remains is what happens AFTER McCain? Will our Governor appoint Robert Graham as Senator ... or will he have enough sense to appoint Jeff DeWitt, or another conservative?

Depending on when McCain leaves the Senate, the Gov will appoint someone to be Senator until the next General Election-- 2018, 2020, 2022...  McCain will die in office.

Ducey will not make "conservative" a criteria (what is the definition of a conservative anyway when McCain calls himself a conservative?)   This will be interesting.

I know all to well about this since it took my father in-law away from us.  It is very serious, and I believe if my memory serves me correctly the average expectancy is about 1 year.  

Is this true or a fabrication so we'll feel sorry for McCain?

I think it's true. Notice in re-runs as McCain's left eye goes funny and remember the things he's been saying lately, like the questioning of Comey.  We knew when it was reported that the skull was cut that this was not ordinary blood clot.  Blood clots are in the epidermis!  The time between the surgery and the announcement is significant to me. I think they were plotting their next move, what to tell, when to resign, who Ducey will appoint and all that.

I read the article that was on the link. Survival is very short, they said maybe 18 months.

"WE" Need to try to get a "PLAN" in Place and push for  Jeff DeWit--- who will be a long shot given the Gov's track record.  will depend whos support  he wants most.

As a physician, I've dealt with this issue over the years. So much depends on the individual patient's response to the biology of the tumor. I wasn't there, of course, but I seriously doubt there was an operation performed without a full pre-operative work-up and a good idea of what they were dealing with. "Blood clot" surgeries (subdural or epidural hematomas) are usually done on an emergent or semi-emergent basis. If this was truly the case, the tumor would have shown on the radiographic studies before surgery, and this would have fallen in line with one news report I read claiming the entire tumor was successfully removed.

Even with chemo and radiation therapies, survival can range from as short as 12 months up to (rarely) 5 years, again depending on the patient's individual response. Also, I'm sure Mayo will run DNA studies on his tumor to see if it contains a particular gene that can be altered. If so, this can improve survival.

The bottom line? This is a very aggressive tumor with a low 2-year survival. However, prognosis is improving with current medical advancements, so the answer is "depends."

I saw the interview with the neurological surgeon.  He said it had tentacles that they did not remove.  I think that would mean the cancer is still active.  I think it was him who said the cancer contained many different types of cells that would make it difficult to determine the best treatment bc some cells respond to a certain treatment, others don't.  Of course, Connie, you are right, they knew they were dealing with more than a blood clot when then went in. 

RSS

THOUGHTS

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click for **BLOW YOUR MIND READING LIST**  

New Books added for you.

The best in books to make every conservative start thinking in new ways about America and the world being controlled by the Obama Administrations AND Republicans and Democrats.  Some surprises are in store for those who look!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suppose the earth and its inhabitants exist in order to identify just what causes mankind continually to suffer so many troublesome problems and afflictions.

GOD, PLEASE BLESS AMERICA!  AMERICA, PLEASE BLESS GOD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO PRAY, KEEP ON PRAYING. HE HAS HEARD OUR CRY AND HE IS ANSWERING.

##########################

© 2019   Created by Arizona Freedom Alliance.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service