After reading the voters pamphlet on Proposition 125, I became concerned with the lack of real information provided by the framers in the pamphlet as well as references to Senate Bill 1442 and House Bill 2545.
I spent considerable time trying to figure out just what was being done.  Below is just a piece of what is in SB1442.  It has you going from one section of an ARS to another.  I figure if it is this complicated and difficult to understand, there is no way I want to do a constitutional amendment for anything the people won’t be able to understand.  If you want to try and figure it out, go for it.  Otherwise, I recommend a no vote.  This piece here seems to be putting way too much financial burden on tax payers for someone’s retirement after only three years of service, or any amount of years of service for that matter.  This appears to me to be an extremely subsidized retirement for one person at taxpayers’ expense. 

I.  A participant AS DEFINED IN SECTION 38-865, PARAGRAPH 7,
SUBDIVISION (a) is fully vested in the defined contribution plan after ten
years of service, with employer contributions vesting at a rate of ten percent per year.

J.  A PARTICIPANT AS DEFINED IN SECTION 38-865, PARAGRAPH 7,

SUBDIVISION (b) IS FULLY VESTED IN THE DEFINED CONTRIBUTION PLAN AFTER THREE YEARS OF SERVICE, WITH THE EMPLOYER CONTRIBUTIONS VESTING AT THE FOLLOWING RATES:
1. TWENTY-FIVE PERCENT AFTER THE FIRST YEAR OF SERVICE.
2. FIFTY PERCENT AFTER THE SECOND YEAR OF SERVICE.
3. ONE HUNDRED PERCENT AFTER THE THIRD YEAR OF SERVICE.

K.  IF A PARTICIPANT AS DEFINED IN SECTION 38-865, PARAGRAPH 7,
SUBDIVISION (b) DIES BEFORE COMPLETING THREE YEARS OF SERVICE, THE EMPLOYER CONTRIBUTIONS ARE IMMEDIATELY FULLY VESTED

The other part, HB 2545 is granting elected officials a COLA of no more than 2% per year, with appealing a previous section.  I wanted to see what they repealed and it wasn’t there, it’s gone already.  This too needs to be done differently.
So, I am voting no. A constitutional amendment should be short, understandable and clearly defined, nothing like this. 

Views: 169

Replies to This Discussion

Randy, I read this differently. We already pay - subsidize - pensions for these people in the Constitution.  I read this to simply change the way the pensions are figured from a flat percentage to a COLA.  It looks to me like it's a better pig.  I would rather see an amendment to eliminate ALLLLLL pensions on the backs  of the taxpayers but that is not going to happen.  Maybe it's something to take to the legislature. but it is too convoluted.

Okay, thanks. 

If you look at SB1442, all the highlights in blue are amendments.  The part I have in my posts is new.  We, the state, is now going to be vesting an employee in safety retirement under this particular section after only three years and paying 100% of their "pensionable salary" after three years.  There are so many twists and turns on this it is very difficult and time consuming to figure it out.  The actual proposal, if I understand it, is what is in the bills, and this isn't detailed in the pamphlet. 

The COLA is amended only for elected officials, HB 2545.  The other part is asking to include Corrections officers in the Defined Contribution Retirement plan, which is good, because it gives an option to the financially crippling Defined Benefit Plan.  But, the amount of money contributed to the employee by the state seems way out of balance compared to the non public safety employee. 

If I don't completely understand it, I can't support it.  Doesn't mean I won't in the future, just make if more clear and don't continue the devastation with our unfunded mandates, or unreasonable taxpayer contributions into the system as a bargaining tool to get votes.

Your thoughts

I am sick of these "privileged" reps manipulating the taxpayers with gimmicks, I say let them live on SS like us working taxpayers.No amendments
It’s a NO

Randy is correct. A constitutional amendment should only be made for absolutely necessary reasons. It should be easily understandable by any responsible citizen and clearly needed. This amendment was written by lawyers for lawyers and for the purpose of allowing those lawyers to manipulate the wealth accumulated in an otherwise untouchable retirement pool. What could go wrong? A lot! The lawyers who wrote this amendment made it obscure so they could later raid it like have every other source of other people’s wealth. It never goes the way way we are told. Never. Vote No.

RSS

THOUGHTS

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click for **BLOW YOUR MIND READING LIST**  

New Books added for you.

The best in books to make every conservative start thinking in new ways about America and the world being controlled by the Obama Administrations AND Republicans and Democrats.  Some surprises are in store for those who look!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suppose the earth and its inhabitants exist in order to identify just what causes mankind continually to suffer so many troublesome problems and afflictions.

GOD, PLEASE BLESS AMERICA!  AMERICA, PLEASE BLESS GOD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO PRAY, KEEP ON PRAYING. HE HAS HEARD OUR CRY AND HE IS ANSWERING.

##########################

© 2019   Created by Arizona Freedom Alliance.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service