Share

Excellent article posted by the non-profit, independent, investigative journalists, ProPublica. This is a MUST read if you’ve been following the machinations of the Arizona ‘Independent’ Redistricting Commission. If you don’t think it can happen here in Arizona, it already has just like it happened in California. Here is a segment of the article:

This spring, a group of California Democrats gathered at a modern, airy office building just a few blocks from the U.S. Capitol. The meeting was House members only — no aides allowed — and the mission was seemingly impossible.

In previous years, the party had used its perennial control of California’s state Legislature to draw district maps that protected Democratic incumbents. But in 2010, California voters put redistricting in the hands of a citizens’ commission where decisions would be guided by public testimony and open debate.

 

Read entire article and see if it sounds at all like what happened right here in AZ.

Views: 84

Replies to This Discussion

I read this yesterday with great interest because it clearly shows that the Dems are a hell of a lot smarter and proactive than the Repubs have been.  They prepared for redistricting years ago and have been working the system across the nation to make sure their candidates win --by whatever means necessary including cheating.... to the extent they can get  away with it and we have seen what they can get way with here.  Time for us to get smart and get ahead of them.   Lets start by repealing Prop 106...

We likely lost our chance to repeal 106 because of..... the Repubs!  Another brilliant move.  They remind me of Sally Field, not wanting to upset the Dems..."They like me. They really like me."

It is a national movement to put all kinds of things in the hands of "commissions" who report to no one.  Our governor has refused to do anything....she had an opportunity to put it on the ballot and because her 'popularity poll numbers were down'  said no.  She wants to 'get along'...but her base wants her to act.  As Joanne said below it will be up to the people to repeal...and we must educate, so people understand what has been done to us.  I know at least two people 'involved' in politics saying...."oh just get it over with so we can vote". 

Prop 106 can be repealed by the petition process and putting it back on the ballot.  Doing it this year may be difficult since it will need about 260,000 signatures to put it on the Nov 2012 ballot but could be done if all the Tea party groups would help--otherwise we may be stuck with the same bs in 2020 because I do not hold any stock in our legislators putting "corrections" on the ballot like they can do if they are willing to go out on a limb and just do it!

 

not holding my breath.....

I concur.  Based on the most recent email from the legislature...leadership is going to do nothing.  This is going to be a BIG election, lots of turnout....Can it be on a primary ballot?
 
Joanne Daley said:

Prop 106 can be repealed by the petition process and putting it back on the ballot.  Doing it this year may be difficult since it will need about 260,000 signatures to put it on the Nov 2012 ballot but could be done if all the Tea party groups would help--otherwise we may be stuck with the same bs in 2020 because I do not hold any stock in our legislators putting "corrections" on the ballot like they can do if they are willing to go out on a limb and just do it!

 

not holding my breath.....

I am told that this cannot be on a primary ballot as primary ballots are party specific.  I'm also told it cannot be done in a Primary election even with separate ballots with this one question.  Have not verified that but would like to know.

Just sent an email to all Republican legislators through lifelibertyfreedom.com that asked What's next since some, though not all, in the legislature worried more about their careers than getting this taken care of on the Feb ballot thereby losing an opportunity that likely will not come again.   Got an immediate response from Andy Tobin "I let nothing pass me by. I promoted citizen referral of 106 since last May. Advocated to remove chair multiple times. Don't re-invent history."  Sounds a bit defensive to me since he was not named.

You would want it on the Nov ballot because you need lots of time to get the requisite signatures.  A Constitutional  initiative to repeal 106 would require 259,213 signatures and must be in the Secy of States office 4 months before the election. It takes about 30 days to get the required committees formed etc, and all the paperwork done if there are no hitches and in a perfect world-- so the total time to gather signatures would be 7 months.(37,000 per mo- and you want to get extras because of screw ups = so 45,000 per month).  It would take lots of money and lots of committment on the part of those participating, the legislators if they really want to get rid of it, and paid man power......  who is writing the check?? 

Using the "Open Government/Open Elections" people as an example--they have been gathering signatures for over a year and they have about 180,000 and 7 months to go for the rest--not sure they are going to make it unless Soros and his greenbacks step in.    

We, on the other hand, may be screwed already anyway.  Kinda of puts the importance of the Legislature getting their $$$$hit together back in Nov all the more critical doesn't it!!  Hello Mr Tobin--where were you in Nov???????

jfreden said:

I concur.  Based on the most recent email from the legislature...leadership is going to do nothing.  This is going to be a BIG election, lots of turnout....Can it be on a primary ballot?
 
Joanne Daley said:

Prop 106 can be repealed by the petition process and putting it back on the ballot.  Doing it this year may be difficult since it will need about 260,000 signatures to put it on the Nov 2012 ballot but could be done if all the Tea party groups would help--otherwise we may be stuck with the same bs in 2020 because I do not hold any stock in our legislators putting "corrections" on the ballot like they can do if they are willing to go out on a limb and just do it!

 

not holding my breath.....

I am going to send Speaker Tobin the article also.  I have been emailing him...don't remember anyone suggesting that the public do an initiative in May???  But then communication is not necessarily their best suit.  They could have put it on the Feb 2012 ballot but 'leadership' apparently didn't want to.  Bottomline seems like they care about 'their seat' and not about the state.  
 
Arizona Freedom Alliance said:

I am told that this cannot be on a primary ballot as primary ballots are party specific.  I'm also told it cannot be done in a Primary election even with separate ballots with this one question.  Have not verified that but would like to know.

Just sent an email to all Republican legislators through lifelibertyfreedom.com that asked What's next since some, though not all, in the legislature worried more about their careers than getting this taken care of on the Feb ballot thereby losing an opportunity that likely will not come again.   Got an immediate response from Andy Tobin "I let nothing pass me by. I promoted citizen referral of 106 since last May. Advocated to remove chair multiple times. Don't re-invent history."  Sounds a bit defensive to me since he was not named.

RSS

THOUGHTS

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click to find your Senators or U.S.Congressmen

Click to find your members and Bills of the Arizona Legislature

 

POSTING POLICY:

NOTE:  Blog posts cannot be blasted to the membership.  Post in Opinions if you want your post to be blasted out.

Post on the correct tab that matches your topic.

Keep it brief and to the point.

Use the proper spelling and punctuation.

Please include the link to your source for the information you post.

Do not attack your fellow conservatives.

If you wouldn't say it to your mother, think twice before saying it here.

Follow these rules!

Click for 

**BLOW YOUR MIND READING LIST**

  New Books added for you.

   ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

 

Suppose the earth and its inhabitants exist in order to identify just what causes mankind continually to suffer so many troublesome problems and afflictions.

 

GOD, PLEASE BLESS AMERICA!  AMERICA, PLEASE BLESS GOD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO PRAY, KEEP ON PRAYING. HE HAS HEARD OUR CRY AND HE IS ANSWERING.

##########################

 

 

© 2021   Created by Arizona Freedom Alliance.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service