House passes bill to require universal background checks on gun sales

The Democratic-led House on Wednesday passed a bill mandating universal background checks in a historic vote on the most significant piece of gun control legislation in years.

The Bipartisan Background Checks Act of 2019, sponsored by Rep. Mike Thompson, D-Calif., and Rep. Peter King, R-N.Y., passed largely along party lines, 240-190. The bill now faces a steep uphill battle as it heads to the GOP-controlled Senate.

Eight Republicans joined Democrats in voting for the bill. Along with King, four other Republicans are co-sponsors, including Reps. Brian Fitzpatrick of Pennsylvania, Fred Upton of Michigan, Brian Mast of Florida and Chris Smith of New Jersey. Meanwhile, two Democrats defected to oppose the bill.

The bill would require universal background checks for all firearm sales, including private transactions. Current federal law only mandates background checks for purchases from licensed gun dealers.

"Gun violence is a true national emergency," said Thompson, who noted that he's an avid hunter. "If this bill did anything to erode gun rights … I wouldn't support it and have my name on it."

The gun-control measure has been met by opposition from most Republicans and the National Rifle Association. President Donald Trump has already indicated that he'd veto the legislation if it made it to his desk.

But a Republican amendment was adopted to the chagrin of Democratic leadership, which would require U.S. Immigration and Customs Enforcement to be notified when a person in the country illegally attempts to buy a firearm. In a surprising move, 26 Democrats joined Republicans to adopt it.

Most Republicans have said that expanded background checks wouldn't have prevented a 2018 mass shooting at a high school in Parkland, Florida, noting that the shooter cleared a background check.

The NRA argued that the bill "criminalizes the private transfer of firearms and targets law-abiding gun owners for persecution," including those who loan guns to family or friends.

But the measure includes exemptions to permit transfers that are loans or gifts between family members in addition to allowing temporary transfers for guns used for hunting or on shooting ranges.

Continue reading...

Views: 96

Replies to This Discussion

Liked it because someone got the illegal question into this bill.  Pelosi is so raptured to note it will saves our children's lives.  Well, maybe since illegals are on notice with ICE with this.  But it will never get into law because most of us know it's unconstitutional to force everyone into a gov background check with no reason.  Mr. Trump knows it too.

Don't get too comfortable about it not passing the Senate.  Didn't they just pass the bill to allow murdering children with "Republican" support?  Now about our president, again don't get too comfortable with his not signing the Universal Background Checks.  He already expressed his agreement in doing more.  President Trump also stated during his state of the union address he wants to set aside federal funds for a national Family Leave Act.  Don't forget last year he expressed his disdain for the "omnibus" bill to fund the government and said "I will not do this again".  Hmmm, okay, then why did he?  By the way, this year as last continues to fund "Family Planning" or abortion clinics. 

Out constitution has been effectively destroyed because there are no boundaries on federal government actions because we have plumbers and insurance sales men turned politician elected to state senate and our house, making decisions on your and your families future.  Oh, and buy the way, the insurance sales and and plumber haven't served in the military so don't know what it takes to participate and be part of this important and demanding service to our country.

They all continue to demonstrate no knowledge or care towards our constitutions, the very instrument of law that grants them their authority! 

Are you tired of this yet? 

I am offering to present a short presentation of our constitutions and then give you a constitutionally valid way to fight back and take control of our state, just the state for now until it grows legs beyond our borders.  If interested in learning more, let me know and we'll connect.

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrVq7G3AHhccSkAVYsPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDM...

https://r.search.yahoo.com/_ylt=AwrVq7G3AHhccSkAVYsPxQt.;_ylu=X3oDM...

Don't forget about Ducey's gun confiscation intentions.  There is a bill in the legislature.

Set up a small group and let me come and talk about some things. Let's get active.

RSS

THOUGHTS

My reading of history convinces me that most bad government results from too much government.
Thomas Jefferson

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Click for **BLOW YOUR MIND READING LIST**  

New Books added for you.

The best in books to make every conservative start thinking in new ways about America and the world being controlled by the Obama Administrations AND Republicans and Democrats.  Some surprises are in store for those who look!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Suppose the earth and its inhabitants exist in order to identify just what causes mankind continually to suffer so many troublesome problems and afflictions.

GOD, PLEASE BLESS AMERICA!  AMERICA, PLEASE BLESS GOD.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

FOR THOSE OF YOU WHO PRAY, KEEP ON PRAYING. HE HAS HEARD OUR CRY AND HE IS ANSWERING.

##########################

© 2019   Created by Arizona Freedom Alliance.   Powered by

Badges  |  Report an Issue  |  Terms of Service